Rafael A. Pérez is a partner at McArdle, Pérez & Franco, P.L. representing clients in complex business transactions.
After graduating from the Tulane University School of Law, Rafael went on to practice law at many prestigious firms. He has worked on large business and real estate transactions for both domestic and foreign high-net-worth clients, inbound foreign investments, tax matters and commercial lease negotiations. Rafael was also an in-house attorney for a condominium developer, and a large commercial real-estate brokerage, where he was in charge of due diligence procedures for office, retail and hotel purchases, evaluating redevelopment potential of existing projects and supervising legal compliance for closings.
Rafael founded the firm in 2002. He focuses on complex business and real estate transactions. Rafael was also a state certified general contractor from 1998-2003 for Commercial Construction Services, Inc., where he was a part-owner and qualifier, during which time the construction company performed millions of dollars in construction for the North Terminal Development at Miami International Airport. His contracting experience and expertise offers him a unique advantage when handling construction and development projects.
- Represented design professional in complex lien action against leasehold interest wherein the underlying fee was held by a governmental entity and achieved successful settlement after protracted discovery;
- Represented developer in the sale of a long-term leasehold interest to a governmental entity after settlement of issues with ground lessee;
- Represented a developer in the development of a water front condominium project from the purchase of the vacant land until the condominium turnover;
- Involved in public private partnership with governmental entities wherein fee owner and ground lease were combined to develop the property;
- Closed multi-million dollar residential and commercial transactions with both institutional lending and private lending;
- Terminated various condominiums for investor groups to save on ad valorem taxes and negotiated with lenders to allow such terminations;
- Filed construction liens on various projects for contractors and design professionals leading to settlements both before and after filing suit to foreclose the construction lien; and
- Conducted numerous transactions for high net worth foreign individuals involving like-kind exchanges and applications for FIRPTA withholding certificates.
Rafael is happily married to his wife, Bertha. Together, they have two beautiful children, Mario Alfredo and Isabella Sofia. In his spare time, Rafael enjoys giving back to the community. He previously served as Director for Catholic Charities Legal Services and Executive Committee Member of the Christopher Columbus High School Alumni Board.